A Moravian surveying party passed through the area in 1752, and documented that a Cherokee Indian village
stood in the old fields. The Cherokee translation for Mulberry Fields is "Keowee." Keowee was often used by
the Cherokees as a place name during the colonial Period. During the Revolutionary War, the Mulberry Fields
area was a common mustering site for the Wilkes county Militia. The Mulberry Meeting House was a common
meeting place to discuss local government issues of the day.
Mulberry Fields became Wilkesboro in 1800 when the town was laid out by William Lenoir. Lenoir refused to
allow the town to be named after himself. Later, following his death, the next town up the road was named for